[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - This old gun......

This old gun......

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

This old gun......

Postby lilredhunter » Sun May 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Well I thought everyone would like a good story. It is a long one but I will shorten it as much as possible. Many yrs ago my Dad had bought a .38 special. I had talked to everyone that had manage to purchase it after Dad. Ran into a dead end. Became friends with a guy whose last name as the same as the last known owner. So I got lucky and found the gun. It was in ratty shape. Rusty was an understatement. It was rough to say the least. Well an old friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My weapon came back to me looking like Spike on Saturday night. It has a super smoothe trigger in DA. It is smoother than glass. Now this is a gun that shipped from S&W in 1928. Below are the actual pics of it.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Re: This old gun......

Postby TacticaLogic » Sun May 30, 2010 11:39 pm

Chris, I'm glad you like it... Now just get you some good leather to go with it and you'll be set.

The process was as follows:

- Entirely strip the revolver down to the last part (less removing the barrel from the frame)
- Dunk all parts to remove old oils, solvents, gunk, etc.
- Glass bead blast all exposed areas - this removed the largest portion of the pitting that was there. Couldn't get it all.
- Parkerized in charcoal color (bluing wasn't an option, and wouldn't have hidden the pitting as well.)
- Color case hardened the hammer and trigger
- Stretched the yoke to remove for and aft cylinder play as much as possible
- Polished all mating surfaces of hammer, trigger, and other internals in order to remove friction - no metal removed other than what was needed to provide a mirror surface (no corners rounded, nor surfaces shortened.)

Revolver was then reassembled, with mainspring strain screw at maximum tight. Hammer does not "push off" of full cock, and there is no staging or stacking of double action pull with factory mainspring.

The same process was performed simultaniously on a S&W 1917 that had a 1918 manufacture date.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Mike
For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby tnxdshooter » Mon May 31, 2010 12:01 pm

My grandpa has a nickel plated 38 with pearl grips on it that his dad had. My grandpa is 86 years old so that gun has to be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay older than that if his daddy has it. It is a smith and wesson. No rust on it anywhere. Papaw keeps it under his matress. He always has.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Postby lilredhunter » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:13 pm

TacticaLogic no one will ever know how much I love the way she turned out. I have a new set of grips ordered. They are reproduction and I opted for medalions on them. Especially after seeing how yours looks. I am looking at several holsters and I plan on taking a trip to Triune this weekend. So I can see this guys work, so far what I have seen has impressed me.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Return to Handguns