[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Pics of my new Taurus PT1911

Pics of my new Taurus PT1911

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

Pics of my new Taurus PT1911

Postby tnxdshooter » Sun May 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Here is a pic of my taurus PT1911. I changed out the black plastic grips with double diamond checkered cocobolo grips with a pearce rubber finger groove insert. Enjoy!

One of the black grip screws was stripped from the factory so I drilled it most of the way out and then took a bigger bit stuck it in there and reversed it and it came out no problem.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Re: Pics of my new Taurus PT1911

Postby TacticaLogic » Mon May 03, 2010 5:16 pm

Good looking pistol you have there... I do want to throw something out there for you to think about. You will have to make the call on this, as only you will know your operating parameters. (I do suspect that you will be using this as a carry pistol, though.)

Here goes:

Regarding the Pearce wrap-around finger grooves... They make for excellent comfort in a grip, especially for those of us with larger hands. They have one flaw, which can be remedied by the owner of the pistol should the owner see fit to do so, and if the owner is going to use the pistol for a carry gun... Go back and think about how the floor plate of the magazine slightly protruded forward of the front strap of the 1911 frame prior to your installing the Pearce finger grooves. That slight protrusion of the magazine floor plate is there for a reason. It was there to give you something to pull on should the magazine fail to drop free (especially when under stress and you have a "Failure To Feed", or "Failure To Extract.") The lowest finger-groove of the Pearce model, as well as that of the old Pachmayr wrap-around grips, for the 1911's overhangs the front of the magazine floorplate. If your magazine doesn't drop free, you are going to have to be digging at it with your index fingernail until you can get it out far enough to grip between your index finger and your thumb.

Now this may sound like I'm trying to be picky, or that I'm trying to "tear down" your grips... Please know that I am not. You have, as I stated earlier, quite a nice 1911 there. This is just an (experienced personally) observation of someone that has seen this happen on the range, even when the shooter was using Wilson mags. It happened to me in an IDPA match once (and that, along with a bit of ribbing from some other shooters, was all it took for me to learn the lesson - I ended up 2nd place that day and would have otherwise placed 1st had I not been trying to dig a magazine out from underneath the little lip of the Pachmayr grips I had on my 1911.) I went home that night, removed the grips, and with a new "box-cutter" blade made one slow careful, accurate cut and removed the lip - no more hassle digging out magazines. The thought of having something like that happen during a personal defense situation is rather sobering. You do not have to get rid of the finger grooves... I would just make sure that (if this were my pistol) that I trimmed enough away from that lower "little finger" groove that you never have any trouble getting a magazine out of the pistol. A 45 degree cut angled upward from the opening of the magazine well usually works well, but you would need to study the angles for yourself and make sure you are going to be happy with the end result.

It can happen with GI mags, Wilson mags, McCormick mags... Sometimes these things just happen. That is why we teach the "Rip, Rack, Rack, Rack, Tap, Rack, Ready" Drill just as we also teach the "Tap, Rack, Ready" Drill. Sometimes that magazine has to come out to fix a problem, and it might not drop out freely. That is what the "Rip" part of the drill is - you have to get that magazine out of the pistol (rip) before you rack it three times to clear the problem - then you insert a fresh mag (tap), then chamber a fresh round (rack), and then get on target (ready).

Anyway... It looks real nice... And if you aren't going to use it as a carry gun, all of my rambling is moot, anyway.

HAVE AN AWESOME DAY!!!

Mike
For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby lilredhunter » Fri May 07, 2010 8:46 pm

XD that is one smooth looking 1911. I want one (1911) & most likely it will be a Taurus as that is about the most economicly priced 1911 on the market. Have you had a chance to hit the range with it yet? If so give us a range report.
Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Postby tnxdshooter » Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 am

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Postby tnxdshooter » Sat May 08, 2010 6:22 am