[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Leather Shoulder Holster for Full Size 1911

Leather Shoulder Holster for Full Size 1911

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

Leather Shoulder Holster for Full Size 1911

Postby S&W29 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:36 am

I am looking for a leather shoulder holster for my full size 1911. I have a Bianchi X15 shoulder rig for my .44 mag revolver and it has been wonderful. I would like to find an X15 that will fit the full size 1911; but according to bianchi's website they do not make one, which seems odd considering the 1911 is a pretty standard gun. I have not had good results with holsters using "spider" harnesses like Galco. Is there anything else out there??
S&W29

Re: Leather Shoulder Holster for Full Size 1911

Postby tnroadrunner » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:54 am

Try Galco.
tnroadrunner

Postby 1gewehr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:40 pm

I bought a Jackass shoulder holster for the 1911 in 1981. I still have it, and still wear it. It is great for use with any 1911 pistol, and with my little Star PD it's almost weightless and invisible.

Galco bought out Jackass, but still makes that holster. I have since bought a couple of other Galco holsters, and they are excellent quality and design.
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby TacticaLogic » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:30 pm

The shoulder holster that Bob bought in 1981 from Jackass Leather is today sold by Galco as (I believe) the "Miami Classic." It got the name because they manufactured one for Don Johnson to use for carrying a Bren 10 when the Miami Vice television show came out in 1984. A very nice shoulder rig, indeed!

They later made the rig for the S&W 645 when, after a couple of seasons, the series armorer got tired of loading blanks for the Bren 10 and told powers-that-be that "Sonny Crockett" was switching over to the classic .45 ACP cartridge - the armorer could buy .45ACP blanks all day long... The stainless 645 made the armorers job easier due to its stainless construction (remember they were in a hot, saltwater, environment), and looked "flashier" than would a blued pistol. You have to remember, a character driving a Testarossa and wearing Armani suits isn't going to be carrying something "dull and drab"!

FWIW, "Sonny Crocket" also carried one of the first "third generation" S&W .45ACP automatics. Even through it was marked "645" it was in reality what became know at the "4506", wraparound grip and all. S&W factory indicates that the gun used by "Sonny Crockett" was a transition gun made before S&W modified its nomenclature system. Don Johnson still owns that particular gun and the holster rig in which he carried it.

Regards,
Mike
(Eye-witness to the filming in 1983 of the first episode of Miami Vice, including the complete destruction of a Mercedes 500SCL underneath the [at that time under construction] elevated public transit train bridge just off of the canal. First time I ever saw a Bren 10 up close, as I was talking to the armorer as he was pulling the weapons back into the truck.)
For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby morg » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:05 pm

TacticaLogic has it dead on about the guns and here is a little more about the holster. Galco considers the original Jack Ass (now reintroduced) and the Miami Vice to be two different models. The difference being a horizontal profile on the Miami and a slightly diagonal profile on the Jack Ass. Since the holsters and off sides can be changed out, the only real difference is the width of the shoulder straps.

I actually had one before Miami Vice. I bought it in 1978 while working on loan to a team in Illinois. As were all of them back then, mine was assembled at the store.

My duty rig was a S+W 59 in standard Jack Ass diagonal profile with double mags and handcuffs on the off side. Made Chief Casey mad to see those things.

I was embarrassed after the TV series came out and my partner started calling me Starski (yes, I know that was the wrong TV show) so I stopped using it for years

Either rig makes the heaviest weapon feel light. And spring the extra bucks for the belt attachment if they still make it.

From Galco
Because of its visibility in a popular television series, the Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig worn by Don Johnson in Miami Vice has become a subject of interest as well as controversy among some gun trivia enthusiasts. Over the years since the show’s first airing, questions have been raised concerning the holster’s origin and evolution and the circumstances surrounding its introduction to the show. The account below addresses all the questions we are frequently asked.

When the pilot episode of Miami Vice was broadcast in 1984, Galco had been manufacturing the shoulder holster rig eventually known as the Miami Classic for the past 14 years. It was then called the Original Jackass Rig, after the Jackass Leather Company, the name under which we did business until our company name was changed to Galco International, Ltd.

The first custom-made Jackass rigs began service in 1970 with officers of the Chicago Police Department, whose input helped Rick Gallagher develop and refine the earliest generations of Galco holsters. It was the Jackass Rig, which popularized horizontal carry and originated the silhouetted, cut-off end of the shoulder holster. In the early 1970’s polymer swivel connectors were introduced as a refinement to the Spider harness and holster, notably predating Fastex/Nexus. In this period the Jackass rig was advertised in Shooting Times magazine and written about by Dick Metcalf in the same magazine.

Hollywood recognized the appeal this product would have to the popular imagination and helped to give it the celebrity status it enjoys today. The Jackass rig worn by James Caan in the 1981 movie Thief documents the evolution of the Jackass rig and the fact that Michael Mann Productions was using it in Hollywood at that date. However, by the time that same production company was developing a television series starring Don Johnson, Property Master Charlie Guanci was (as were many of our loyal customers at that time) unable to contact us. In 1980, Jackass Leather had changed its name to Galco International, Ltd. and, in 1983, had moved from Chicago to Phoenix.

In desperation to get a Jackass-type shoulder holster for the Bren 10 that Don Johnson would be wearing in the series, they approached a local holster maker, Ted Blocker, who replicated a Jackass Rig to the best of his ability. Attempting to locate the polymer parts, his supplier went so far as to find Galco and speak with Robert Hansen, then Sales Manager. When pressed, the supplier admitted the true purpose behind his inquiries, but to no avail. When the level of frustration and desperation on the Miami Vice set finally reached our ears directly, we phoned Property Master Charlie Guanci, who requested that Rick Gallagher fly out to Miami immediately to custom fit Don with a holster like the Jackass rig used in the movie Thief.

At the time, Don was refusing to wear his existing rig and wanted to switch to a belt holster. The leather that held the harness together was printing through his Armani suits; it was also binding, pinching, and limiting his movement in performing his stunts; and much of the time the replica holster failed to conceal the Bren 10. Don’s problems, the wardrobe people’s problems, and the Property Master’s problems were all solved within seconds after Don put on the new Jackass Rig and declared, “It fits like a glove”.

From that moment, Galco’s Jackass Rig, designed by Rick Gallagher over 14 years earlier, became the real Miami Classic rig, destined to be the most copied shoulder holster system in the world today.

Over the course of the television series the Bren 10 was replaced with a S&W 645 and finally a S&W 4506. With each change, the appropriately fitting Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig was sent to the Property Master to be worn by Don Johnson.

We trust this account will clarify some misunderstandings and help answer the Number One holster trivia question of today!
morg

Return to Handguns