[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - 1911 slide stop with sharp edge

1911 slide stop with sharp edge

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

1911 slide stop with sharp edge

Postby S&W29 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:16 pm

I recently purchased a Springfield Armory 1911 GI model. It's a great gun that performs excellently. However, the slide stop is so sharp on top that it puts deep gashes on the leather IWB holster I use. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can correct this problem? Are there replacement slide stops that are smoother, or could I have a gunsmith correct the problem?
S&W29

Re: 1911 slide stop with sharp edge

Postby C. Richard Archie » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:02 am

The John Browning designed 1911 is the ultimate kit gun. There are a number of aftermarket parts that are basically "drop in" replacements, and there are several great guides which give direction to disassemble and replace parts. Brownell's is a place to start.

Of course, the slide stop does provide a "bump" by necessity, it must protrude to allow for user to function it for the slide to release. If there is a burr on yours that is dinking up your holster, a smith can shape it, and possibly spot treat any discoloration that results (depending on the finish of your weapon).
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby S&W29 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:30 pm

I've checked out the Brownells website. Would something like this be what I'm looking for?

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2746 ... SLIDE_STOP

I assume this would fit any standard 1911.
S&W29

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:16 am

If your personal weapon is Stainless Steel, that one should work fine. You probably could buff down the current slide release (I am a glass half full kind of guy)and not show a loss of finish if it is a SS version. If your pistol is is blued, you will want to find one that is blued already, or you can take her down a little, and spot refinish.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby S&W29 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:09 pm

Well, my gun as the parkerized finish. As far as looks goes I don't really care if the parts don't match up finish wise, unless that could hinder the performance of the gun. There were some other blued slide stops, but I really don't want to pay twice as much if all I'm getting out of the higher price is a part with a matching finish. But as I said before, if having a slide stop with a different finish hinders the performance I will of course buy something different.
S&W29

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Don't think that finish difference will make one whit of difference in performance.

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby wlhawk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:04 pm

I'd contact Springfield Armory as they have excellent customer service and a lifetime warranty.
wlhawk

Postby S&W29 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:52 am

I should have thought of that. My new slide stop just came in the mail yesterday, but I won't be home until this afternoon to check it out. I"ll call Springfield and ask if there is anything they can do.
S&W29

Postby tnxdshooter » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Return to Handguns