[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Do I need to buy molds???

Do I need to buy molds???

Handgun for sport, self-defense and hunting. Anything on handguns is fair game.

Moderator: tnroadrunner

Do I need to buy molds???

Postby dragon » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 pm

I've just joined this forum today and have been reading some interesting stuff! I am mostly concerned about what I see about possible restrictions to reloaders.... like me. I am just getting pretty good at it and this worries me. I have come up with a very good load for my 40 PT 100 and now I start reading all this stuff. I'm sure I can mold bullets and I got boo coo brass BUT I can't make primers! Any new info???
dragon

Re: Do I need to buy molds???

Postby tnroadrunner » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:55 am

I cannot answer that question dragon but I'm sure someone on this forum can.
tnroadrunner

Postby Tim Nunan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Though I do not make my own bullets I've about it on several forums and can only urge you to a)smelt with lots of ventilation, b) get your blood tested once a year.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby dragon » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:35 pm

Lead poisoning huh? Yeah I used to cast sinkers with Dad but we were always outside. Not sure how to copper jacket though.
dragon

Postby johnharris » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:20 pm

As long as Obama/Pelosi/Reid have any vote, you should purchase anything you can afford and as much of it as possible. Hording is prudent if a ban is possible.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby wlhawk » Tue May 12, 2009 8:05 pm

I haven't purchased molds, but my stock of bullets, powder, primers and brass has been getting much larger. When I find factory ammo, I save it and use my reloads for practice. As long as can obtain bullets, I prefer to avoid the additional time required to mold them.
wlhawk

Postby offuuu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:29 pm

You want to make primers? I have investigated it a little. Wikipedia talks about some primers and the chemicals used to make them... if we get to the point that you have to make your own primers and gunpowder, that will be the day I come up with a way to make a gun that uses gasoline as the propellant and an electrical ignition (much like the way a car works.) Making gunpowder and primers is way harder, also very dangerous. One primer wikipedia talked about can explode if dropped a foot from the ground.

I was looking at making primers and powder as a way to make premium quality stuff. Its too much hassle and danger and I will leave it to the pros!
offuuu

Postby TacticaLogic » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:03 pm

I know that we have all suffered with shortages of ammo and reloading components as of late... I see boxes of Winchester USA "white box" 9mm going for $25+ a box over the internet - the same stuff I used to buy for $5 at Academy Sports. With wars going on in two different theaters of operation, and the recent rush to buy ammo by all of those afraid of the gun grabbers, it's no wonder.

But, if times get so bad that we have to make our own primers, it is time to use the primers and ammo we have to take ammunition from those that would disarm us... Not to be fatalistic about this, but I look at it from the same standpoint that I do burying our guns in PVC pipe: If it is time to bury them, it's time to use them.

I point no fingers at anyone on this thread, okay? I am speaking in generalities with what I am about to say...

Over the past 100 years or so, there have been those that seek to "civilize" man by taking steps to ensure that he has to "talk his way out of every confrontation." They have worked on it slowly over time, using the "frog in the kettle" method. They tend to have an "I know better than you do what is best for you and your family" type of attitude. And they truly believe it. They look upon themselves as guardians (though self-appointed) of all that is "proper", and then they decide what is proper. The problem with their thinking is that not everyone listens to or believes in what they say, so there is always someone there to do harm to others.

The sad part about it is, their population is growing due to the fact that persons of this type are deeply rooted in acadamia and they plant these poisonous ideas into the young minds of kids whose parents have failed to make sure their children understand exactly what is stated in the Constitution of the United States. These same parents were told when they were in school that the school systems were responsible for education of our young people?

Part of the "time to bury our guns" mentality, along with all of the ammo hording that has been going own since the elections last fall, comes from the fact that many people have idea that government is just too big to change, so if they wish to keep something they have to hide it/stock up/store it. It is not too big to change... We change it by using the three boxes of our representative republic: The Soap Box - political speech-making in order to change our government; The Ballot Box - voting for changes; and The Ammo Box - the last resort when the electorial process and/or The Constitution is corrupted/ignored by usurpers. Here lately, the usurpers have gained a lot of ground.

When it comes to ammunition and future availability, think like a spec ops operator that works deep behind the lines... Have enough ammo for the initial contacts, but use captured weaponry and ammo to continue operations when you run out of what you initially carried into the operation.

Regards,
Mike
For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby lilredhunter » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:22 pm

Chris
A VERY Proud Member of TFA & NRA
lilredhunter

Postby SomeGuy » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:20 am

J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby Dan Lee » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:18 pm

I don't know much about making ammo/reloading, but I do know a lot about lead exposure. Because I care about people's safety, I urge you to use an approved Respirator when working with lead. The only way to accurately know how much lead exposure you've had, it to measure it in your bones. That's where it ends up. Best to never go there in the first place. Even after shooting with anything but TMJ ammo, you should go home & wash your hands thoroughly.
Dan Lee

Postby rich » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:56 am

I started casting about a year ago. Lead started to get hard to get. Me and two friends went to a scrap yard and bought 300 plus pounds of wheels weights for .25 a pound. We melted them and removed the clips and skimmed the slag off the top and poured them into ingot molds. Now when we want to cast we just drop the ingots in a bottom pour pot and use a Lee six cavity mold. One guy casts while the other uses a lubri-sizer. In a few hours we cast several thousand bullets. Cheap! They shoot well too. Make sure you thoroughly de copper your barrel. Lapping is also recommended. If you use a quality lube and don't shoot jacketed bullets barrel leading will be minimal. Primers are still available so don't give up. Casting can be accomplished with a small investment. I am not sure exactly how lead is dissolved into the blood stream so we are careful. We put an exhaust fan directly over the pot in the shop. Any cast I do at home is outside. It has been a worth while endeavor for me. I can load a 100 rounds of 9mm for just a few dollars. If you know someone who has a tire shop you have access to lead alloy that is already a good hardness for bullets. We add a small amount of tin but it probably isn't necessary. There are a lot of little tricks like: mold prep, mold temperature, pot temp, fluxing etc that are important to getting good bullets but overall it is a simple process. There is a lot of info out there and even forums dedicated to casting. Hope I was encouraging. Casting is fun. Good luck.

Rich
rich

Return to Handguns