[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Rifle Ranges in Memphis Area?

Rifle Ranges in Memphis Area?

Gun clubs, gun ranges, and other opportunities to shoot in Tennessee

Rifle Ranges in Memphis Area?

Postby madtrader » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Hi folks,

I just moved to the Memphis area and I am looking for a place to shoot rifles. I've looked at the RangeUSA and Range Master websites and they both appear to be indoor pistol ranges (although I see that Range USA is trying out allowing .223 frangible ammo on Saturday nights). Top Brass in Millington is listed as an indoor rifle range on many shooting sites, and I have found a mention of a Desoto Arms *just* across the TN-MS border. What I'm looking for is a range that is 50 to 100 yards and allows any caliber. I do know about the MSSA, but I can't afford the membership yet and I am concerned that my wife wouldn't be able to shoot there as she is not a US citizen. My wife has asked around at her office (which seems to have a fair number of firearms enthusiasts), but most say they have friends with land they go shoot on. So, where do Memphians shoot their rifles?
madtrader

Postby MCFooter » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:13 pm

I don't know anything about Memphis but check out this website.

http://www.traderscreek.com/gun_clubs/tennessee.asp

Looks like there might be a public range with a 100yd rifle area
MCFooter

Postby madtrader » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:40 pm

I think you are meaning the Shelby Farms range. I've been told by others that it's closed with no word on ever reopening. Also, I was told today that the Desoto Arms range closed some time ago. This is rather depressing.
madtrader

Postby David » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:52 pm

I live right behind Shelby Farms and that range is definitely open, but I think is and has always been the sheriffs dept. range... Not sure but I'll call around tomorrow and see and let you know what I find out.

I'd love to be able to shoot outdoors!!
David

Postby madtrader » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:01 am

madtrader

Postby David » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:05 pm

David

Postby David » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:34 pm

Went to the range tonight and as I was getting ready to leave this guy comes over, introduces himself and informs of a meet Saturday mornings at an outdoor range... Yes, an outdoor range!!

It's on Old Brownsville Rd. in Lakeland. Here's a map to it.

http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?&addr= ... d+TN+38002
David

Postby madtrader » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:39 am

Awesome! I'm going to have to check that out.
madtrader

Postby madtrader » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:53 am

I just realized something. That address is the MSSA, which I think I may not be able to bring my wife to as she isn't a US citizen.
madtrader

Postby David » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:49 pm

what nationality is she?

Give them a call and see what the policies are 867-8277
David

Postby madtrader » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:05 pm

She is Malaysian, but a permanent resident.

I suppose I should call. I'm basing my information off of their website on this page:

http://www.memphis-ssa.com/clubinfo.php

Under requirements for membership, the first requirement is "U.S. Citizenship".
madtrader

Postby David » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Those are strange requirements.. To get a membership you have to be an NRA member. I'm certainly not opposed to the NRA, but wonder why a membership there is a requirement?

But it looks like you can shoot without a membership though, $12 to run the course.
David

Postby johnharris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:45 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby David » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:17 am

David

Postby madtrader » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:21 pm

madtrader

Postby mn » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:41 am

mn

Postby David » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:51 pm

David

Re: Rifle Ranges in Memphis Area?

Postby Idahoser » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:08 pm

In case anybody comes looking for info about this, I thought I'd tie this up. The Shelby Farms range on the south side of Walnut Grove used to be open to the public, but no longer. They claimed they were closing it because it cost too much to maintain. Well, they still maintain it, it's still used as a range, but they apparently save money by not allowing the public to pay to use it. It was always about politics.

The only rifle range in the area within TN is MSSA, which I've just now been granted permission to join. There's one in Desoto County, they set up at the Southaven gun show but I can't think of the name of it. Significantly less expensive than MSSA but more than Batesville, MS which we used to belong to. That was just too far to get use out of it.

But I'm going to be able to shoot at least once a week at MSSA, and I will get my money's worth out of it. It's just always been too hard to spend that much money all at once... We're putting the tax refund on it. And TFA, too.
Idahoser

Re: Rifle Ranges in Memphis Area?

Postby wlhawk » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:11 am

Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club is about 7-1/2 miles east of Hernando on Holy Springs Rd. The initiation fee is $76 and yearly dues are $96. This range closes 4 months a yr(Nov-Feb). However this spring a new range will be opened just off the Como, MS exit and be open year around.
wlhawk

Return to Places to Shoot