[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - letters/responses to a commissioner

letters/responses to a commissioner

Presently inactive - needs chapter leader or team

letters/responses to a commissioner

Postby cbusht » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:26 am

Commissioner {{ In Johnson City, TN,

I'm sure you are aware of the controversy as of late regarding restrictions of permit holders to be free to "carry" in certain places: Parks, restaurants that serve alcohol, National Parks... etc.

I wanted to voice my encouragement to you to see past those who would distort the facts by way of statistics used to twist the truth...

Those of us who have gone to the trouble of the permitting process are the most likely to NOT be involved in illegal activities - at home, at work, at play or traveling between any of these places.

Please be influential to not give criminals a "safe for criminals" zone by making any part of Johnson City a "gun free zone."

Unpermitted persons that DO tend toward illegal activities are "carrying" in these places already... What is the law - to a lawless person?

I also thought you might find Ms. Brooks discussion pertinent to this discussion...

Thank you for your "electronic availability!"

His Answer:

Thank you for contacting me on this very important issue. I have no irrational fear of guns. I am a hunter, gun owner and military veteran. The only people I support carrying guns in our City Parks are law enforcement officers who are thoroughly trained in the use of deadly force. We have an obligation to our children and grandchildren to report anyone carrying a gun in our parks to the police. Commissioner….

Response:
Com. xxxxxxxx

Please allow me to try to communicate that the tone of my reply is not to be beligerant - it is easy for that to be unclear in a printed communication...

I appreciate your response - and hopefully openness for interaction on this issue.

The bottom line question comes to mind -
1. Are you in favor of anyone other than Law Enforcement being allowed to carry a firearm?

2. Are you in favor of properly permitted citizens carrying at all?

3. If you think a properly permitted citizen (ppc) should not "carry" in a Park - what about while walking down the sidewalk?

The following has been stated as an effort to be funny - but also demonstrate a point:

Question: Why do you carry a handgun?
Answer: Because a policeman is too heavy.

It is not my aim to instruct you on the law - you have likely forgotten more than I have ever known... However for this discussion I wanted to call attention to the following:

Here is the Tennessee law on using deadly force in self-defense. The full statute can be found in the Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 39-11-611. The critical elements of this law are that:
You may use deadly force only if you have a reasonable belief of an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury
If you do not have all of these elements, do not even show your weapon—you will likely be facing a criminal charge
You get the protection of this law only if you are not engaged in unlawful activity and you’re in a place where you have a right to be[1]
You CANNOT use deadly force to protect property because there is no danger of death or serious bodily injury: the threat has to be against a person, not a thing
The threat has to be imminent: it has to be about to happen now
You do not have a duty to retreat before using deadly force if you hold a reasonable belief of an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury, and you do not have to give any kind of warning, verbal or otherwise
The no duty to retreat concept applies in and around your home, as well as out in public
Laws - or City ordinances prohibiting citizens from protecting themselves and their families in recreational places such as City Parks or State or National parks for that matter - only serve to make it easier for criminal activity to take place - a place where a criminal may be more confident of their victims being "unarmed" - as do other "gun free zones."

Please don't overlook the added safety factor average increased by responsible citizens being able to protect themselves - even in City Parks.

{{{{{{{{{ Insert Picture here of map with “Your daughter,” a “rapist” and a far away “Policeman.” With a condom, a cell phone with 911 dialed, and a Glock – with the caption “Which do you want to protect your daughter?”}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Whether after a night softball game or Saturday afternoon walking on the backside of Willow Springs park or anywhere else... I have 4 daughters... I think in these terms.

This September 1, TN state law takes effect allowing permit holders the legality to continue to carry while in City parks - while with their families - alone - or when ever...

The following is a news release I copied from the internet...
A proposal to allow handguns to be carried in city or county parks in Tennessee has been signed by the governor.
Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen signed the measure Friday (June 12) and it will take effect Sept. 1.
On Thursday, June 11, the House sponsor said he was abandoning the provision in exchange for Bredesen's commitment not to veto a separate bill about weapons in restaurants.
But the Senate sponsor, Republican Mae Beavers of Mt. Juliet, said there was never an agreement.
Last month, Bredesen vetoed a bill to allow guns to be carried in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. That veto was overwhelmingly overridden in both chambers of the Legislature.
Com. xxxxxxxx - thanks again for your "electronic" availability,
Sincerely,

c
Remember: When s e c o n d s count, the Police are only m i n u t e s away.

His Response:

After much thought, my firm belief is that only police officers should be allowed to carry weapons inside of City Parks.

My response:
Com xxxxxxxx,

Once again, thanks for your interaction on this... I did want to state some agreement with you but it doesn't entirely fit within the law of the state of Tn.

You wrote about "seeing" someone with a gun in a park and the obligation to our children and grandchildren...

TN is of course an "Open Carry" state. Permitted persons are not "required" by law to carry "concealed.'

However, I do not know of any affiliated recommendation to carry openly. We can all see an occasional picture showing someone carrying openly. I do so on my own properties occasionally - but usually there working alone. Yet it is definitely not the norm for the vast majority - from what I understand.

However - and this is a big HOWEVER. Much the same as I recommended recently to one of my daughters. Let no one know you carry a handgun until even the most ardent "anti-gun rights" person will thank you profusely for being prepared.

However - As my recommendation to my daughter - With the increasing mentality of those I know - You will never know they are armed - until you are glad/relieved that they were and the situation ended drastically differently that it otherwise would.

Thank you for your time,

C

PS. If you remember the image of the Harley Davidson Motorcycle owner of 30 years ago... Yep, the Hell's Angels... The Harley Company set out to change the image of the Harley owner - and succeeded well. Today Harley's are common place with "everyday Joes."

For a glimpse at an effort underway to change the image of gun owners and those who "carry," to "everyday Joe's." See the following web site http://www.FrontSight.com.

It is a long way off in Nevada - but it is close to home.

His Response:

Thanks for your views on this matter and I hope and pray neither of us has to use a firearm to protect ourselves or family.

My response:

Com. xxxxxxx,

I definitely echo the same sentiment. It is however [another extremely large HOWEVER] -

The Responsibility falls squarely on your shoulders and my shoulders to do just that: Protect ourselves or our family. You do. I do. That responsibility is not limited by the walls of our home.

On Monday, June 27, the Supreme Court of the United States of America ruled:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/polit ... cotus.html

[Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone]

What changes might that make to the picture?

Remember when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Sincerely,

C
cbusht

Return to Tri-Cities