[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - A question of Law - Attn: John Harris

A question of Law - Attn: John Harris

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

A question of Law - Attn: John Harris

Postby Ed__357 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:52 pm

I recently had a bit of trouble in Franklin Tennessee, and ended up pointing a firearm at an aggressor. Fortunately, everything went ok, the bad guy left, no shots were fired, nobody got hurt. This was out on the streets, and another person witnessed the activity. After it was over, everyone went their way. The question was later raised, about calling the police, and a police officer told me that it was a law in Tennessee that you must immediately call the police and file a report anytime you have to draw your weapon, even if you do not fire it. I did not feel like arguing with the cop and ending up in more trouble, but I have looked around, and I can not find such a law. I'd like to hear what a lawyer says about this. John?
It's best to let the world "Think" you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ed__357

Re: A question of Law - Attn: John Harris

Postby johnharris » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:00 am

There is no such requirement under the handgun permit statutes except for what I call the "snitch" law that the legislature passed several years ago which makes it a crime to fail to report the presence of a firearm on school grounds. I am unaware of any other criminal law on the issue of mandatory reporting of any possible crime by the potential victim.

Now, I have heard, as we have seen with Serpas in Nashville, that law enforcement wants everything reported. It helps them allocate officers and resources. It also helps them generate crime statistics. It could be used, for example, in an attempt to justify additional staffing and resources.

All that said, my answer is I am unaware of any such law except with respect to school grounds. It might exist but I am unaware of it.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby ProguninTN » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Could this be an incident of an officer confusing a departmental policy for state law ?
ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby johnharris » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:12 am

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby tnxdshooter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:32 pm