[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - New U.T. Policy Strips Student Athletes' 2nd Amendment Right

New U.T. Policy Strips Student Athletes' 2nd Amendment Right

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

Re: New U.T. Policy Strips Student Athletes' 2nd Amendment Right

Postby TacticaLogic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:14 pm

For training beyond the carry permit:

TacticaLogic

Postby RobertNashville » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:31 pm

Last edited by RobertNashville on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Postby TacticaLogic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 pm

How about this, taken directly from the web page of the Dean of Students, University of Tennessee, Knoxville:

University of Tennessee Student Rights
Student Rights - Hilltopics
Introduction
By registering in the University, the student neither loses the rights nor escapes the duties of a citizen.

(Emphasis mine...)

Seems the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...

TacticaLogic

Postby TacticaLogic » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:15 pm

TacticaLogic

Postby ProguninTN » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:09 pm

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:39 pm

Robert
-My Basset Hound is smarter than your honor student and 52% of the voting public -
RobertNashville

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Robert
RobertNashville

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm

Robert
RobertNashville

Postby TacticaLogic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:13 pm

TacticaLogic

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:17 pm

Robert
RobertNashville

Postby fl0at » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:22 pm

Hey Robert, out of curiosity, what would be your opinion if the state of Tennessee said the following:
"It is now state policy that all residents who own or possess a firearm will be removed from the state."

Would you consider it illegal? I mean, living in Tennessee after all isn't a right, it is a privilege. You could live in any other state.

Now, substitute state with University of Tennessee and residents with student-athletes.

And, I think we are all missing the big picture here: UT has a rifle team. How does that work with Hamilton's new policy, and why wouldn't one of those dudes be a perfect candidate to bring suit? I mean, how the hell does a rifle team practice without rifles?
fl0at

Postby tnxdshooter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:54 pm

Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Postby RobertNashville » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Robert
RobertNashville

Postby fl0at » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:12 pm

fl0at

Postby RobertNashville » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:04 pm

I think this discussion is pretty pointless and I don't understand why you are so desirous of keeping it going.

I don't like this policy of UT…I think it's a bad and ineffectual attempt to address a symptom of a problem rather than the real problem (namely, having some thugs and criminals on its sports teams)…that said; I believe that a legal entity, like the University of Tennessee has the right to set policy on who can and who cannot participate in a completely voluntary, extracurricular activity just as it has the right to set standards/requirements on who can attend the university.

As to the rifle team issue; I didn't know UT had a rifle team nor do I know who owns the rifles or where they are housed and I certainly don't know how this policy affects the rifle team (if there is one) and how/where they practice; if you do, please feel free to share that information.
Robert
RobertNashville

Postby fl0at » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:15 pm

fl0at

Postby RobertNashville » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Is the University of Tennessee's decision "discriminatory" against those students who legally own firearms and who also want to participate in a sports team at UT? Yes, it is.

Do I think such a policy is illegal? No, I don't

First of all, "civil rights" mean something very specific, you quoted the law yourself. Other than for those specific reasons I or a business or any other legal entity can be very "discriminatory" about many things/in many ways without violating anyone's civil rights.

As a legal entity (person, business,, etc) I also have certain rights and if UT wants to deny entry to its sports programs to legal gun owners I believe they have the right to do so…I don't know how to say it any more plainly than that.

For me, it's absolutely no different than saying "you can't come into my home and smoke there" or "you can't come onto my property carrying a loaded firearm"…your "right" to smoke or to keep and bear arms do not supersede my right to control what happens on my property.

Yes, UT's policy presents a real problem and inconvenience for the student athlete…I know changing schools has NCAA consequences but the fact that it causes a problem for a student athlete does not negate UT's right to stipulate who can participate in its activities.

More important to this discussion, I think, is that a student/potential student simply does not have a "right" to attend UT or any specific college or university nor does a student have a right to participate in one of UT's sports teams. As a legal entity, UT has the right to establish qualifications for who can attend and who can participate in any activity…period. Were that not the case then no university could deny entry to any potential student for any reason.

In several other posts I have stated and firmly believe that "our rights do not exist in a vacuum." What I mean by that is that all the rights enumerated (note they are not "given" but just identified) by the Constitution all exist simultaneously…my right to free speech or to practice my religion or to peacefully assemble or to keep and bear arms are all severally and jointly and equally "rights". I would submit that any time an entity (government, person, etc.) attempts to elevate or enforce one "right" over the right of another, it makes that other person's "right" not a "right" at all.

Most people hear have a special affinity for the Second Amendment - as do I - but at the same time, I don't believe my right to keep and bear arms is any more important legally or philosophically than any other right we are endowed with.

As to UT Martin's rifle team; yes, I knew they had one…how or even if this policy affects them I don't know and haven't been able to find out anything new about this policy since it was announced…just as with any other extracurricular activity; UT Martin or UT Knoxville or any other UT campus has no obligation to offer any at all.
Robert
RobertNashville

Postby fl0at » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:04 am

fl0at

Postby RobertNashville » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:07 pm

Robert
RobertNashville

Postby fl0at » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:58 pm

fl0at

Previous

Return to Laws and Regulations