[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - HCP and suppressors... legal or not?

HCP and suppressors... legal or not?

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

HCP and suppressors... legal or not?

Postby StandingTall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:17 am

PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THE INTENT OF THIS TOPIC!

I'm not "Leonard".

Is it illegal to carry a suppressor attached to your pistol provided you have a valid HCP? I ask from the perspective of protecting my hearing and the hearing of those around me should I have an undesirable encounter that would require that I defend myself or my family. I see it as a courtesy to those unfortunate enough to be caught in a situation that is bad enough without dealing with potential hearing loss on top of it.

I understand that it would bring unnecessary attention if it were detected. However, it would hide very well under a 3/4 length coat in the cooler months. Like I said before, I'm not seeking attention or confrontation.

I appreciate everyone's input.
StandingTall

"Takes more than combat gear to make a man. Takes more than a license to own a gun. Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run". ~ Gordon Sumner

"Toujours Pret" ~ Family motto.
StandingTall

Re: HCP and suppressors... legal or not?

Postby photoguy67 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:55 am

IANAL and I don't know of the legality of it, but I would not want to face a jury of lay persons that don't understand suppressors and explain why I shot that person with a suppressor. I fear it would paint me in a VERY bad light. Just my .02 cents. ;)
photoguy67

Postby 1gewehr » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:44 am

OK, I'm not a Lawyer, either. But I cannot find any TN law that would prohibit carry with a suppressor. Sadly, I have to agree with the post above that it would probably not be a practical thing to do.

Aside from the extra length and bulk, the 'hassle factor' would be very high. Let's face it, in the event that you ever had to defend yourself, you would want anyone to know without a doubt that YOU are the victim. A pistol with a suppressor would probably allow your assailant's lawyer to paint you as a vigilante in search of malefactors.
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby johnharris » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:22 pm

It is legal as long as you have your Class III paperwork.

Its a question of why?
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby Lemonhead » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:09 pm

The BATFE says a suppressor is a firearm, would that have any bearing on the situation? I would carry one in my Maxpedition bag along with the appropriate pistol to attach it to if I had one. Why? Who knows, I might need it.
Lemonhead

Postby StandingTall » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:00 pm

Believe me, it's not something I do. It's more of an academic question. It is a nice thought to extend that courtesy to those around you if you had to use it. Like I said, completely academic.
StandingTall

"Takes more than combat gear to make a man. Takes more than a license to own a gun. Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can. A gentleman will walk but never run". ~ Gordon Sumner

"Toujours Pret" ~ Family motto.
StandingTall

Postby johnharris » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:20 am

in this age where it is getting harder and harder to find places to shoot, its absolutely insane for suppressors to be regulated much less treated as Class III devices.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby ProguninTN » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:17 am

ProguninTN
ProguninTN

Postby tnxdshooter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:25 am

Sure,

Suppressors are legal so long as you fill out the proper Class III forms and pay the tax stamp for it.
Crossville, TN
NRA Member
TN HCP holder
Carry gun 1: Springfield XD 40 4" Stainless Bi-tone
tnxdshooter

Return to Laws and Regulations