[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Tennessean's Editorial on Restaurant Carry / Norris Responds

Tennessean's Editorial on Restaurant Carry / Norris Responds

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

Postby dwaldrip » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:09 pm

This editiorial ran in the Tennessean on Saturday, 12/27 at

In a state Republican legislative package meant to espouse a conservative agenda, one irresponsible proposal is a provision to let people tote guns in bars.

State law makes carrying a gun where alcohol is served a misdemeanor. House Republicans are promoting a measure that would allow permit holders to carry concealed weapons into bars and restaurants that sell alcohol, as long as the people carrying the guns don't drink in the place. This idea was brought up last year but never got out of committee in the House or Senate, nor should it.

Republicans do not have a lock on this ill-advised issue. The restaurant gunslinger measure was among those proposed unsuccessfully last year by Rep. Ben West Jr., a Democrat from Hermitage.

Proponents of the plan say it would protect people who have permits to carry weapons. They say permit holders are responsible citizens and they shouldn't be burdened with the inconvenience of leaving a gun in a vehicle.

One line of thinking says it's even more dangerous to leave a gun in the car, where it could be stolen. The danger is in exposing innocent people in restaurants and bars from gunplay. It turns modern-day restaurants into old-fashioned saloons. How anyone could view the proposal as a step toward a safer state is baffling.

The proposal is rightfully opposed by the Tennessee Restaurant Association, the Tennessee Sheriffs' Association and the Tennessee Chiefs of Police Association.

Passing such a law would mean any person in a bar or restaurant where alcohol is served could be in the line of fire of anyone who felt a need to draw a weapon. It's reckless, it's dangerous, and the legislature should reject it.
dwaldrip

Postby dwaldrip » Mon Dec 29, 2003 5:17 pm

Here is the response that Senator Mark Norris has submitted to the TFA/NRA membership.

GUNS and BUTTER (NOT BOOZE)

I am the Senate sponsor of S.B. 1531 which removes the prohibition against lawfully permitted gun owners carrying in restaurants where liquor is served unless the proprietor chooses to post the premises. The prohibition against consuming alcohol while armed remains intact.

Although I have spoken to various groups about this important legislation, including the TFA, too many remain unaware of the ongoing struggle between efforts to safeguard our Second Amendment rights and those determined to undermine them. Witness the December 27 editorial in the Tennessean, “Gun Plan Way Off-Target,” which questions how anyone could view the proposal as a step toward a safer state.

Last session, the General Assembly successfully eliminated the prohibition against carrying in convenience stores where beer is sold for off-premises consumption. The “carry where alcohol is served” initiative, supported by the NRA and TFA, is the next logical step in the continuing effort to remove unwarranted restrictions against the right to go armed.

Liberal media like the Tennessean see it differently. “Passing such a law would mean any person in a bar or restaurant where alcohol is served could be in the line of fire of anyone who felt a need to draw a weapon. It’s reckless, it’s dangerous, and the legislature should reject it,” argues the Tennessean.

I submit that it is more reckless and dangerous to force those lawfully permitted to carry to disarm when they dine out. These days, law abiding citizens are more likely to find themselves in the line of fire from lawless thugs and gang members. If you’re going to get caught in the line of fire, you ought to at least have the right to defend yourself.

The Tennessean questions whether S.B 1531 would make for a safer state, but 35 other states have adopted laws similar to the one I propose. Tennessee is one of only nine states with an unqualified prohibition like the one I seek to amend. Why should Tennessee be the exception?

The Tennessean was wrong about another thing. They reported that my initiative “never got out of committee in the…Senate, nor should it.” Wrong. I passed S.B. 1531 out of the Senate Judiciary Committee and have it poised to call up for a vote by the full Senate after we reconvene on January 13.

Those who support the right to go armed when dining out need to challenge the press which trivializes the Second Amendment by attempting to reduce this to a “guns in bars” and “old fashioned saloons” argument. I, for one, don’t wish to choose between leaving my weapon behind and dining safely with my family at the local restaurant which happens to serve alcohol.

If you feel as I do, contact members of the Tennessee House and Senate. Tell them you support the right to go armed when you go out to eat, and remind them that you’ll remember who stood up for the Second Amendment and for your right to self defense when you head to the voting booth in 2004.

-Senator Mark Norris
dwaldrip

Postby BulletBillSR » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:59 pm

Outstanding job by Senator Norris. I would ask all TFA members and others who read this forum to respond to the Tennessean article. The 135,000 plus law abiding have amply demonstrated over the past 5-6 years that they have carried their sidearms in a safe, responsible and peaceable fashion and do not deserve to be branded "gunslingers," as the Tennessean editors did.

Leaving your gun in the car isn't just an inconvenience; it DISARMS you! The Tennessean cannot show evidence of one episode where a Tennessee carry permit holder was a "danger" to other patrons but there are plenty of cases of patrons being mugged and robbed in the parking lot.

The Tennessean also cannot give one incident where a permit holder turned a modern day restaurant into an old fashioned saloon. However there are several cases on record where an armed criminal started shooting in a restaurant; Lubys Cafeteria in Texas being the best known.

The restaurants won't offer you any security either in their parking lot or inside their establishment. In short, they don't care about your safety. They just don't want to have to post a "no firearms" sign for fear it would drive away business.

Bottom line here is that if this sort on inane and specious attack on law abiding permit holders is not answered, the public will begin to believe what they read in the papers and see on TV. So as a concerned minority, we need to respond and let the Tennessean and the Tennessee Restaurant Association know that their position represents a fantasy and has no basis in fact. If we don't, the prohibition will continue. I've already sent a LTE to the Tennessean but since they give priority to those living in Nashville, I doubt it will ever be printed. I would hope those of you living in the Nashville area would have better luck, so give it a try.

I also doubt that Senator Norris' fine response will get published either, although to dismiss a state senator would make the paper look bad. I think we all should write, call or send him an email thanking him for sponsoring the bill and for his response to the Tennesseans attack on law abiding permit holders.

You might also note that the Bristol Hearld also had an anti self defense article in their paper. I don't know if we have many members of the forum who live in the tri-city area but they should also consider responding to these attacks that brand us "gunslingers" and a danger to the community. We know it isn't true, but the public doesn't, and they won't unless YOU tell them. Let's get to it! :shock:

Bill
BulletBillSR

Postby johnharris » Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:53 pm

I have received many private emails from individuals who are writing to newspapers in several TN cities on the alcohol issue - too many to realistically post. Keep it up!
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby Tim Nunan » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:18 pm

Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby BulletBillSR » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:13 pm

BulletBillSR

Postby marauder » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:54 pm

proud law abiding, gun owning citizen :)
marauder

Postby MitchSchaft » Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:40 am

Well, I already "don't take it anymore" on the restaurant issue my own way.
A couple of Shelby County cops were at a TFA meeting last year and confirmed that calling the dispatcher does bring up your carry permit. But, it doesn't pop up on a regular license check on their computer.
That's what he said anyway.
MitchSchaft

Return to Laws and Regulations