Carrying to/from restricted locations

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

Carrying to/from restricted locations

Postby netmindr » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:48 pm

I thought of a situation while walking through the riverfront in Cinci this past weekend going to a ballgame. The gates at the ball park are obviously posted against carrying firearms which makes sense since they sell alcohol for consumption there.

But what about the trek from your vehicle to a restricted location? Since I cannot carry inside the park, I am forced to leave my weapon in the car and walk through the streets at night unarmed. Obviously I made it safely but we all know it only takes being in the wrong place at the wrong time with a bad guy walking down the street once to prove how unsafe it can be.

Is there a law against carrying a disabled and unloaded firearm into a posted place where I can have my weapon on me until I get to where I am going and can unload and lock it (possibly utilizing an internal locking system) to make it unusable while there? I realize that if I am capable of easily disabling it they will be of the opinion that I can just as easily re-enable it and be in violation of the law, but otherwise I give up my right to be armed between the car and the building.
netmindr

Re: Carrying to/from restricted locations

Postby johnharris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 pm

I have not seen the issue addressed before but my bet is that it would be "disallowed" since the weapon could be readily reassembled.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Laws and Regulations