[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Question about school zones

Question about school zones

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

Question about school zones

Postby pol mordreth » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:37 pm

Okay, so I know that I cannot carry on school property (except pickup / dropoff) and I know that the Federal 1000' rule doesn't apply since I am a permit holder.

My question is this: Is the sidewalk on front of a school considered school property? In other words, if I'm walking down the sidewalk past a school, should I cross the street or am I legal to just keep walking. I often walk around the area on my linch break, and I walk past vanderbilt and the University School. (private K-12)

thanks,
Pol
pol mordreth

Re: Question about school zones

Postby SomeGuy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:11 pm

Who owns the sidewalk? If it is a public sidewalk, I would say you are good to go. If the University controls the sidewalk, that may be another story.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby KevinMcCauley » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:21 pm

Vandy is a private school. They don't own the sidewalks, as far as I know. But my guess would be that there are plenty of cops that would arrest you for it...
"If we are going to have people in places where there are guns you know they're going to make poor decisions."
- Nashville Police Chief Ronal Serpas

"I don’t want people in my bar not drinking."- Adam Dread
KevinMcCauley

Postby SomeGuy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:52 pm

J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby mathdude » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:23 pm

I was told during my handgun safety class that it is a violation to keep my firearm in my car while on school property if I am not physically in the car; my permit only allows me to drop off and pick up. Is this correct?
mathdude

Postby johnharris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

The statute does not reference staying the car or in physical possession. The issue is 'picking up and dropping off'
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby mathdude » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:17 pm

So would it be a violation to leave a firearm locked in my car while on school property?
mathdude

Postby johnharris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby mathdude » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:46 am

Ok, I am a school faculty member who is parking on school property. I am not there to drop off or pick up anyone besides myself. I will not physically be in the car during the day. Is it a violation to leave my firearm locked in the car while it is on school property?
mathdude

Postby tnroadrunner » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:38 am

First let me say IANAL, my understanding of the law is that what you want to do would not be legal.
tnroadrunner

Postby morg » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:37 pm

Once again the insanity of our laws.

I worked at school on Mon, Wed, and Fri. . . . . gun stayed home.

Run by on Tues. or Thur to drop off kids . . . . yep, gun in the car.

Mon, Wed, and Fri . . . . listen to liberal teachers rant about evil guns.

Tues and Thur . . . . stop by Specialty Arms on the way home to coffee and comradery or meet my nephew at the PD to spend afternoon on the range.

Morg
morg

Postby S&W29 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:37 pm

Lets say you were stopping at a university campus for a game or some event. If you park on a street with meters that is not campus parking but runs through campus, and leave your gun in the glove box are you still breaking the law? Of course in the example you would have a carry permit.
S&W29

Postby SomeGuy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:08 am

If it is not campus, but a city street, campus rules/laws become moot. The issue is whether it is city of college owned. They line is hard to find at times.
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby S&W29 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:18 pm

I was thinking specifically about the law that prohibits anyone, including permit holders, from even keeping their gun locked in their car while on school property. Since the city street is not school property, but simply runs through campus, does this law become moot?
S&W29

Postby SomeGuy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:30 am

If it is not school property, then the law is not applying. It is a street. Streets don't change just because of what is around them (at least, now in this state).
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby S&W29 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:36 pm

b) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class E felony.

(c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

(2) A violation of this subsection (c) is a Class B misdemeanor.

So under subsection (c), having the firearm in your car is not an offense, but would it be an offense under subsection (b)? And does this imply only for pick up or drop off, i.e you must be in your car at all times?
S&W29

Postby fl0at » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:44 pm

fl0at

Return to Laws and Regulations