[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - TN Handgun Permit, 4-6 Months Wait???

TN Handgun Permit, 4-6 Months Wait???

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

TN Handgun Permit, 4-6 Months Wait???

Postby xlr8 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:00 pm

I took my TN HCP class this past weekend and went yesterday to the local TDOS Driver's License office to process my application. After conducting our business, the clerk told me that I could expect my TN HCP within 4 to 6 months because they are "backlogged" and running behind. I thought to myself, 4 to 6 months, . . . that doesn't seem right!! Sure enough, when I got home I checked the statute and T.C.A 39-17-1351(l) states:

"The department shall issue a permit to an applicant not prohibited from obtaining a permit under this section no later than ninety (90) days after the date the department receives the application. A permit issued prior to the department's receipt of the Tennessee and federal bureaus of investigation's criminal history record checks based upon the applicant's fingerprints shall be subject to immediate revocation if either record check reveals that the applicant is not eligible for a permit pursuant to the provisions of this section."

Is anyone else experiencing this time waiting on their permits due to the "backlog"? Can anything be done if they exceed the 90 day allowance according to the statute?

Thanks!
Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 8:28
NRA Life Member since the Clinton-Reno Administration
TFA Life Member
GOA Life Member
xlr8

Re: TN Handgun Permit, 4-6 Months Wait???

Postby Tim Nunan » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:30 am

This kind of delay has been going on for months if not a year. Unfortunately few of us have the money to take the DOS to court for non-compliance with the law.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby johnharris » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:49 pm

My renewal came in a little over 2 months.

Let me suggest if you are experiencing problems with the 90 day issuance is get active and CALL YOUR LEGISLATORS - FREQUENTLY!!!!
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby John Sides » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:47 pm

my renewal took 6 weeks
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
John Sides

Postby Ed__357 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Since you are a first time applicant, there's probably not much you can do. You can call the dept of safety, as they are the one's that issue permits, and they can tell you the status of your application and approximate waiting time. However, they will not even discuss this with you until you have reached the legal 90 day limit.

I would suggest on day 91, you give them a call.

Also, several of the previous posters commented on renewing. Renewing is not the same as a first time applicant. When you renew, they give you a temporary receipt on the spot which serves as your permit until the real one arrives. So, once you make it past the initial first time process, you should have no worries.

I have heard stories like this for years, but I can tell you for a fact, my first time permit, and my renewalls have "ALL" arrived well before the 90 day limit.

Good luck, and shoot to disable the threat.
Ed__357

Postby John Sides » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:03 am

My wife applied on the 28th of Aug 08 and she received hers in the mail on the 31st of Oct 08. I didn't think two months was to bad .
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
John Sides

Postby marine77 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:40 pm

Another poster on another forum at another org. said his had gone on for 3 weeks and 2 days. I just put mine in today,
we'll see. :|
marine77

Postby SomeGuy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:40 pm

Mine has 4-5 months left on it.

Anybody done it recently and able to give an idea?

Also, if we renew in person at the DMV are they still confiscating current permits, even if they are still valid?
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby bluecanary25 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:18 pm

IIRC, your receipt for renewal will be valid as HCP (but you gotta go in person for the renewal).
I ordered a second copy of my HCP during last renewal. extra copy is only $5
So if asked to surrender the card, I will keep my spare.............. :lol:
AND have the printed receipt while waiting for my new HCP card. 8)

dang, I hope that made scents.......
(not reel brite and not always rite)
bluecanary25

Postby xlr8 » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:21 am

Surprisingly, I received my HCP within about 8 weeks from when I applied. Much better than the initial estimate that I received at the TDL office!
Matthew 28:18-20; Romans 8:28
NRA Life Member since the Clinton-Reno Administration
TFA Life Member
GOA Life Member
xlr8

Return to Laws and Regulations