[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Gun Check at Courthouses

Gun Check at Courthouses

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

Gun Check at Courthouses

Postby Menzoberranzan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:35 pm

I had to visit the courthouse today to get a parking ticket taken care of (had valid handicap placard on vehicle parked at meter). Since I carry everywhere, I called ahead to see if there were lockers or some other storage for firearms available to HCP holders. According to the person I spoke to, the secureing of firearms at the courthouse was available only to law enforcement.

I have a couple questions about this, first was this information correct, and if so, what can we do to get lockers at all courthouses. Personally, I really dislike having to leave my firearm at home or locked in my car. What if I do need it? What if it is stolen from my car?
When you need the police in 30 seconds, they are only 3 minutes away.
Menzoberranzan

Re: Gun Check at Courthouses

Postby Tim Nunan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:06 pm

As far as I know there is no restriction on carry in Courthouses unless they are properly posted. You cannot carry into a court room if court is in session.
Tim Nunan
TFA/NRA Lifemember
GOA member

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow
Tim Nunan

Postby Menzoberranzan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:47 pm

The one on 2nd Ave and James Robertson in Nashville is quite clearly and properly posted. So I did not attempt to carry inside. I still don't feel right leaving my firearm in the car or at home.
When you need the police in 30 seconds, they are only 3 minutes away.
Menzoberranzan

Postby David Lewis » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:29 pm

By statute, court rooms are off-limits for carry, except for certain narrowly defined circumstances involving on-duty & court officers. The court houses themselves are not automatically no-carry locations, unless, as noted, they are properly posted. In my admittedly limited experience, the statute is mostly honored in the breach.

I believe the Kefauver Federal Courthouse in Nashville does indeed have lockers available at the entry, but I'm not sure if they're LE-only.

David
David Lewis

Postby tjbert47 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Gun Check at Courthouses would be fine. But what I really want to see is Park and Restaurant carry.
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
tjbert47

Postby David Lewis » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:31 am

David Lewis

Postby bobsguns » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:00 am

Not only do they not supply a checking area for one's handgun, they also won't do so for one's pocketknife. :evil:
bobsguns

Postby johnharris » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:10 pm

The issue about check stations has come up in the past relative to businesses and other quasi-public establishments. Generally, the legislature's response is that they do not want to either spend the tax dollars or require private property owners to private dollars in order to provide the lockers. Nothing prevents them from doing it, they just do not want to force it as a condition to banning weapons.

The ban on knives is just silly. I carried pocket knives in the courthouse for years and nothing was ever said. Indeed, I remember the time when there were no checks in the Davidson County courthouse, then the checks were only at domestic court, now they think they live on mount Olympus and we are coming to "their" land.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Laws and Regulations