[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Are automatic knives legal to own in TN

Are automatic knives legal to own in TN

We have 20,000+ laws and regulations to be concerned with - most in possible derivation of the Second Amendment

Moderators: SomeGuy, tjbert47

Are automatic knives legal to own in TN

Postby ThreeHeadedDog » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:32 pm

Just curious as I think I read somewhere that automatic open(switchblade) knives were illigal to carry in TN. I had heard that in some states there were legal to own but not to carry, but wasnt sure if TN was one of them.
ThreeHeadedDog

Postby johnharris » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:03 pm

You can own them (see 39-17-1301 to 39-17-1308). I know many law enforcement, EMTS, firemen and others who find the one hand automatics to be a reasonable compliment to their daily assortment of equipment.

The law says that you cannot carry them and there is no exception for law enforcement or others.
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby ThreeHeadedDog » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:28 pm

ThreeHeadedDog

Postby bobsguns » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:14 pm

"Collectors" are allowed to own automatic knives by state law.

As for threeheadeddog, there are plenty of "assisted opening" knives that aren't considered an automatic that you can carry. :wink:
bobsguns

Postby johnharris » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:12 am

The trick is the "collector" issue. I have several in my desk that I collected and use occasionally for speaking engagements and to open letters.
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: Are automatic knives legal to own in TN

Postby redbarron06 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:45 pm

Just out of curiosity, what about members of the military. I have heard that military members are legal to have and use automatic knives when in uniform. I have one that I have carried for about 3 years now. The company that I bought it from would not ship to certain states (I assume that this is because some state like NY ban them completely). I know of at least one manufature that will ship directly to you if you can provide a copy of military/police ID.

Army Aviation Association of America
National Rifle Association
Gun Owners of America
Tennessee Firearms Association
redbarron06

Postby bobsguns » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:51 pm

bobsguns

Postby johnharris » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:55 pm

John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby medic1502 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:56 am

I carry a Benchmade auto opening knife. When I purchased it. the store required a copy of my work ID to sell it. According to them, they are legal for EMS, Fire, Law Enforcement, and active duty Military personnel. I don't know if they are correct, but tht's what they follow when selling them.
medic1502

Postby johnharris » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:21 pm

See the above statute regarding EMT.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Laws and Regulations