[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Nashville Meeting - January 18, 2011

Nashville Meeting - January 18, 2011

Standard Meeting Time - 3rd Tuesday of each month. 7:00 pm to 8pm. Golden Corral in Hermitage on Old Hickory Blvd. See forum section for announcements and any changes for a specific month.

Nashville Meeting - January 18, 2011

Postby johnharris » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:09 pm

Nashville Chapter is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Meeting time is 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 pm

In addition to discussion of the new legislative session, there will be a point/counter-point discussion of Permitted (Bob Pope) vs. Permit-less Carry (Andrew Asnip).

Some points to be discussed include:

•Arizona/Alaska style carry
•Vermont style carry (and the differences among them)
•Tennessee's style of permit
•Reciprocity
•Qualification requirements - good or bad

Arrive early - 5:00 to 5:30 would be good. Eat in the meeting room if possible and if not, get as close as you can. We will try finishing eating by 7:00 in the meeting room to clear out everything but drinks for the meeting if we have a large turnout.

315 Old Lebanon Dirt Rd
Hermitage, TN 37076
(615) 874-1313

IT IS IMPORTANT TO PAY AT GOLDEN CORAL AS YOU COME IN FOR THE MEETING IF YOU ARE EATING. TELL THEM THAT AT THE CASH REGISTER THAT YOU ARE THERE FOR THE MEETING AND TO APPLY THE "GROUP RATE" WHICH INCLUDES YOUR DRINK.

You do not have to be a TFA member to attend nor do you have to be a resident of Nashville. Everyone is welcome and encourage to bring guests - even spouses.

I want to encourage each of you to bring someone with you to the meeting who has not been to one or been to one recently. There's no cost to come (unless you eat because the meal is on you).
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: Nashville Meeting - January 18, 2011

Postby David Lewis » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:01 am

bump...
David Lewis

Postby C. Richard Archie » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:46 pm

Y'all need to post how the meeting went. I wanted to come tonight, but my nursing duties with the wife prevented it.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby johnharris » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:58 am

I was not able to make it either but I understand it was a good meeting with lots of participation. I am told David Lewis recorded it and may have extensive notes.

Police were called.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Postby 1gewehr » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 am

Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby David Lewis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:21 pm

David Lewis

Postby macville » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:59 pm

I want to point out that this guy who was vocal about the guns being open carried obviously was not really afraid of them. Why? Because logic says that if you are afraid for your life and you have the option to get out of there, you get out of there. So obviously, he must not have thought the people carrying were really a threat because if they were, he would have hightailed it out of there. Anti-gun people aren't really afraid of guns, they just want to have things their way.
macville

Postby tphillippie » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:26 pm

This has to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard or seen, and at the same time, very sad. I've always had scheduling conflicts when it comes to the monthly meetings, but after hearing about all the great stories, company and conversation, I'm taking care of my conflicts to make it a point to start coming regularly.

I wonder if he bothered any TFA members who were wearing concealed firearms on their way in?
tphillippie

Postby David Lewis » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:46 pm

David Lewis

Postby 1gewehr » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:01 am

David,
Thanks for clearing that up! I was there the whole time and knew nothing about it!

Gun control advocates really DO have a mental problem. Sigmund Freud associated retarded sexual and emotional development with fear and loathing of weapons.
Nemo me impune lacessit
1gewehr

Postby Fencer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:31 am

David,
I was one of the last ones to the meeting, and when I came in the door, I had to turn sideways to get by the gentleman.
He looked directly at me and was frowning, but I just thought he was waiting for someone. He didn't say a word to me, but
I was wearing my TFA shirt and concealed.
Dennis Wood
Last edited by Fencer on Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fencer

Postby C. Richard Archie » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:28 pm

Having listened to the audio, (thanks David) I must state that I am concerned with Bob's current take on the Concealed vs. Open carry issue. To promote a move backwards from what we currently have is troubling.

I lived in TX a the inception of Carry initiative there, and was involved with advocating for it's passage. I was in line in Austin the Day they let us apply, it was similar to the situation in TN related to the "No Income Tax" we had a presence in the State Capitol by a lot of advocates. Lots of Liberal Democrats in TX, it is the home of LBJ, and the fight was not easy, nor quick to attain the right to carry. The Luby's mass shooting carried the day, or there might still be no legal carry in TX. Their old 'across the county travel" law seemed to be enough for a lot of folks, and if you had connections, you did not get bothered.

Depending on the Police force of specific areas, concealed carry is problematic, they have that niggling little "Printing" issue, and if a LEO force is anti-carry, (and there are plenty that are), they can "make" you with ease. You do not have to display the weapon, such as the "wind blow your jacket or shirt up" mantra, they literally can take your weapon if they can discern that you are carrying.

With all that I have, as effort to stand against that becoming our Law, I will fight to keep that from creeping in to our State.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby johnharris » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:09 am

I have not had a chance to play the audio yet but I have had updates from various sources. It seems clear that there are some basic issues we need to be discussing among advocates of 2nd Amendment rights because, sadly, those basics are not benefiting from almost unanimous understanding.

One of those issues is the distinction - the necessary distinction - addressing what types of laws/regulations are permissible (a constitutional question) or acceptable (a political / policy question) for the government(s) to enact and contrasting that against factors (e.g., open carry, holster options, caliber options, action styles, handgun/longarm, etc) which may be more of an issue of personal responsibility / discretion or even avoiding negligent mishaps.

When the initial classification of an issue into those important categories is omitted, then we end up with almost everything being addressed in the context of personal opinions, "good ideas" and "common sense" when many of those issues might in fact be more appropriately addressed as being constitutionally impermissible or politically unattainable.

For me, open carry is an area that the government should not regulate for many reasons I will not address in this post.
John Harris

Executive Director
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Return to Nashville