[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - .22 Target Shooting

.22 Target Shooting

High power or small bore your areas of interest?

.22 Target Shooting

Postby Freedom2U » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:01 pm

While a .22 bullet can certainly travel a great distance, shooting accurately can be troublesome considering bullet weight,velocity, trajectory, distance and wind. I know many people like to target shoot .22s at 50 yards. My friends and I like to shoot 10 round groups at 100 yards. What started as informal competition escalated to custom 10-22s and more expensive target ammo. We had been shooting several different calibers of old military rifles and frankly, I wasn't doing so hot. I decided to step down to .22 caliber to sharpen my marksmanship skills at lower cost. It paid off too because I was the first in our little informal shooting group to score 100 at 100 yards. That's what started our little friendly competition. I shot that first 100 with an AMT Small Game Hunter, a stainless copy of the Ruger 10-22,with a semi bull barrel. My strongest competitor then had a gunsmith build him a Ruger with a full bull barrel and a trigger job. That matched us pretty evenly, so I then built my own Custom 10-22 with a Volsquarten carbon fiber tension barrel, cantilever scope mount, trigger job , Hogue rubber coated stock, and a long scope. We are generally shooting from a bench with a bipod, though I favor prone position whenever possible. My best target so far has been a 100x 8X. For those that might not know, that's 8 out of 10 shots within a 1" circle. No doubt many people have shot further and better, I am just sharing part of what I have experienced. Stepping down to a .22 did help my marksmanship and really helped improve my big bore groups.
Freedom2U

Postby 45ACP » Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:27 am

Accurate .22 rimfire rifles are a wonderful thing! I love to shoot 'em, and 100 yards is a pretty fair test of both the rifle and the shooter. Sounds like you have a good one. I agree, a good .22 is probably the very best way to develop shooting ability with a rifle. More people should try it. Currently, I am shooting a Browning A-bolt and a Thompson/Center .22 Classic. Both are great shooting .22s. What type of ammo are you using?
45ACP

.22 Ammo

Postby Guest » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:20 pm

When I first started trying to shoot for accuracy, I somehow settled into shooting CCI Mini-Mags. I had read several articles about shooting .22s for accuracy that mentioned rim thickness as being a factor and I began to see ads for gauges to measure rim thickness. So I drilled out a gauging block to measure the rims with a dial caliper and sorted many boxes of ammo , being careful to buy boxes all from the same run. This did make a difference and it seemed that the rounds with the thinnest rims ( which were always the minority in a box of ammo ) yielded the tightest groups. Later I decided to simply buy the best ammo that my rifle liked. After trying a few brands I found that ELEY was darn good but what my rifle really liked was Federal Gold Medal Ultramatch UM1. The Ultramatch is pricey to be sure, but it is a reliable performer in my AMT rifle. When I built my custom rifle I naturally assumed it would also prefer the Federal but that was not the case, I found that ELEY TENEX gave far better groups from the tension barrel.

.22 Ammo

Postby Freedom2U » Mon Jul 07, 2003 4:30 pm

I forgot to log in before I replied, that "guest" is me !
Freedom2U

Postby 45ACP » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:53 am

45ACP

Postby Freedom2U » Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:56 pm

Freedom2U

Postby marauder » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:51 am

proud law abiding, gun owning citizen :)
marauder

Re: .22 Target Shooting

Postby Hardtarget » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:16 am

Long range .22 shooting is fun. You guys are WAY ahead of me! My .22s are factory stock guns...and old. I would not expect stellar results at even 50 yds. Don't get me wrong...I have tried it...not impressive. :oops: Still, it was (is) fun . May be the hits were accidental, I don't know, I'll try again next trip!

Some times I shoot where I don't have even 100 feet. My range on the farm is limited because of new houses. :( Things change. So, I was introduced to a different challenge. In Shotgun News there is a two page ad form "Fred's M14" You've probably seen it. Several months ago he published a target. A 1 inch square. To be shot from 82.5 feet. That's about 1000 inches. Fred said to try it standing...no supports....only 5 shots. He bet we couldn't hit it twice. So far, I've tried it with three different guns. I have managed to hit it, but no real bragging rights.

I'm new here. Logged in tonight (2/28). I've been here a few times to read a bit...just lurking...so I thought I'd find a chair and get to know you. I live in Nashville, I'm 59, I don't remember not shooting as my favorite passtime. No competition or any great knowledge, just enjoy the sport.

I'll be back.

Mark.
Hardtarget

Postby marauder » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:05 am

welcome to the TFA mark , we are glad you are here. have a great day.
proud law abiding, gun owning citizen :)
marauder

Postby C. Richard Archie » Sun May 31, 2009 7:47 pm

I took a stock CZ 453 Varmint, and did a pillar and full action bedding job on it. It is undoubtedly the most accurate firearm that I have, and is a lot of fun to shoot.

Stock inletted and pillars set.

Clay in place and ready for Devcon epoxy.

Barrel taped to keep it centered.

Filled and set.

Cleaned up.

Receiver in place.

Rimfire Technolgies Weaver Adaptor, with Burris Signature Zee Rings.

Latest groups.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
Chapter Leader, West TN Regional Chapter
C. Richard Archie

Postby Hardtarget » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:04 pm

Great photos of your bedding job. Nice looking rifle, too. However, I'm most impressed with the groups in that last picture! Good shooting! Looks like your hard work paid off!

Mark.
Hardtarget

Postby C. Richard Archie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:47 am

The groups were shot off a Caldwell DFT rest. This rifle is capable of very good accuracy.

It has a sister, a CZ 453 Varmint in .17HMR.

Bedding this version was a little more difficult, as the configuration of the longer action did not allow for a front pillar, so I milled the stock, and had a bedding block made.

Block installed ready for final bedding.

Final bedding of the front of the action.

Put back together.

50 yard 5 shot group.
"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." Samuel Adams

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Postby bobsguns » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 pm

I see I'm gonna have to drag out my rifles to the range & get some trigger time behind them. It's been too long!
bobsguns

Postby SomeGuy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:32 am

Where are you again Richard? I need to come over for some lessons!
J. E. F. II, MSN, RN.
SomeGuy

Postby C. Richard Archie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:07 pm

I am just outside of Jackson.

TFA/NRA Life Member
C. Richard Archie

Return to Long Range