A vote against tyranny

TFA's largest and most active local chapter.

Moderators: AlphaPatriot, Pat McGarrity

A vote against tyranny

Postby Pat McGarrity » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:13 am

Besides the excellent points made by Mr. Fisher below, please know that Jim Harrell is running in the Cordova area, District 96, where gun owners currently do not have any representation. That position is currently occupied by Rep. Steve McManus R-Cordova. Rep. McManus is a member of the House Calendar & Rules Committee.

Rep. McManus was one of the committee members that prevented the voice of the people from being heard by killing our Safe Commute bill in that committee. Because of this, there was, purposely and deceptively, no anti-gun vote on record. This bill had at least 30 co-sponsors. Even constituents opposed to Safe Commute were denied representation.

You may not know that Rep. McManus is your "representative" in Nashville. Until a recent self-aggrandizing letter, paid for by Tennessee Tax Payers, I'm told that District 96 voters had not heard from him in his three unopposed terms in office. Coincidentally, now that Rep. McManus has a primary opponent, he found the time to contact his constituents. If you live in District 96, you deserve better.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/20 ... artner=RSS

Richard G. Fisher, Cordova

As Independence Day approached, Memphis city tyrants annexed, i.e. legally plundered, South Cordova (June 30 article). Speaking about this tyranny in a TV news interview, state Rep. Steve McManus of District 96 expressed surprise South Cordova was annexed. Apparently, he was confident legal action by South Cordova residents would prevent this tyranny; despite the fact Memphis previously annexed much of Cordova, and contrary to their consent.

In an 1854 speech, Abraham Lincoln said, "… No man is good enough to govern another man, without the other's consent. … this is the leading principle ... of American republicanism."

Having represented Cordova since 2006, McManus should know Tennessee is one of only four states with laws allowing annexation of property without consent of the governed. Perhaps McManus, all Cordova residents and all Tennesseans would fare better if he had spent his time in the General Assembly working to repeal this act allowing legalized plunder. This is why I am voting in the Aug. 2 Republican primary for Jim Harrell to be our District 96 representative. Harrell understands the U.S. Constitution and the Tennessee Constitution give to "the people," including the people of Cordova, control over their government. He wants to take this understanding to Nashville; and, representing the people of Cordova, work to repeal annexation laws that allow legal plunder, i.e., annexation of property without the owner's consent, and replace them with annexation laws that require consent of the governed, and allow those annexed without their consent to vote to de-annex.
Pat McGarrity

Return to Shelby County / Memphis