[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Bartlett Alderman Candidate Barney Survey Answers

Bartlett Alderman Candidate Barney Survey Answers

TFA's largest and most active local chapter.

Moderators: AlphaPatriot, Pat McGarrity

Bartlett Alderman Candidate Barney Survey Answers

Postby Pat McGarrity » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:21 pm

Bartlett Alderman, Position 2, Candidate Mark Barney TFA Survey Answers:

1. I believe Tennesseans who have civilian handgun permits should be allowed to carry their handgun while in places that serve alcoholic beverages (including beer) for consumption on site (e.g., restaurants):
a) under any b) as long as they aren’t c) under no circumstances
circumstances consuming alcohol
Answer: B (If you are responsible to carry you should be responsible in abstaining from alcohol.)

2. I believe Tennesseans who have civilian handgun permits should be allowed to carry their handgun in publicly owned or funded parks.
a) Agree b) Disagree
Answer: A

3. I believe Tennesseans who have civilian handgun permits and are entering school grounds (through grade 12) should:
a) be allowed to retain b) be allowed to store their c) be required to keep the
possession of their handgun in their vehicle handgun off school
handgun grounds

4. I believe that – as has been the case under federal law since the mid-1960s – any state or local agency firing range that was built or maintained with tax funds should by law be made available to the public when the range is not actively in use by the agency for whose use the range was initially intended.
a) Agree b) Disagree

5. I believe Tennessee's handgun permit law should be amended to a “firearms” permit.
a) Agree b) Disagree

6. I believe Tennesseans who have civilian handgun permits should be able to carry “less-than-lethal” defensive weapons such as batons, chemical sprays, and “stun” guns.
a) Agree b) Disagree

7. I believe that firearms safety education should be required in all Tennessee elementary schools.
a) Agree b) Disagree
Answer: A (see comments below)

8. I believe firearms safety education and training should be required in all Tennessee junior high and high schools.
a) Agree b) Disagree
Answer: A (see comments below)

9. I believe legislation should encourage the development and funding of organized youth shooting teams in all Tennessee junior high schools.
a) Agree b) Disagree
Answer: B (see comments below)

10. I believe legislation should encourage the development and funding of organized youth shooting teams in all Tennessee high schools.
a) Agree b) Disagree

11. I believe any state maintained database of civilian handgun permit holders should be confidential.
a) Agree b) Disagree

12. I believe an individual age 21 and older should be able to carry a loaded firearm without a permit – as done in Vermont – so long as such individual does not have a prior conviction for a violent felony for which the individual has not had his or her rights restored or been granted a pardon.
a) Agree b) Disagree

13. I believe that the federal “assault weapons” ban should be reauthorized.
a) Agree b) Disagree
Answer: B

14. I believe the federal restriction on private ownership of full automatic firearms manufactured after 1986 should be eliminated.
a) Agree b) Disagree

15. I believe that if a publicly owned building or property is legally posted to prohibit the possession of firearms at that location, the public agency making such determination should be obliged to provide a suitable storage facility on site for the temporary storage of weapons otherwise legally in the possession of handgun permit holders.
a) Agree b) Disagree

16. I believe a solution would be to allow legally armed citizens to be armed in publicly owned properties.
a) Agree b) Disagree

17. I believe that employees in Tennessee who have handgun permits should be allowed to, at a minimum, store their firearms at their place of employment – including their vehicle – and that such storage should not be allowed as a ground for termination of employment.
a) Agree b) Disagree

18. I will support a Bartlett ordinance limiting Aldermen to two terms.

a) Agree b) Disagree

19. With respect to each of the foregoing questions, I hereby pledge that I will actively support and endorse legislation that is applicable at the local level, in Bartlett, in accordance with my responses if elected to public office.
a) I do so affirm.
b) I do so affirm with the exception of questions
c) I do NOT so affirm.
Answer: A (I do so affirm).

I hereby certify that the foregoing statements are true and correct and acknowledge that the same shall be used for purposes of rating my responses which rating and these responses may be made publicly available by the Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc., and/or TFA–LAC for the purpose of making these representations by me made known to the voting public of the State of Tennessee.

Comments: As to questions 7 & 8- our current educational system is having a difficult time just teaching basic math, reading, and writing. I am not certain, unless there is a state certified instructor, whether firearm safety courses will actually be of any benefit. And this does not even touch on the subject of funding the course. It might be possible to provide basic instruction through a health and safety course (i.e. look both ways before crossing the street, if it’s hot don’t touch, etc). The same can also be said for junior high schools; however, at this time in age it could be made a requirement to get this educational experience through a professionally taught course, which will provide a certificate of completion to be placed in the students file. As to questions 9 & 10- state funding of shooting teams in TN schools. I see issues here because of the government involvement as well as tax payer dollars. I believe this area could be better served by establishing shooting teams through the various shooting ranges across the state. This still provides junior and senior high students, who have an interest in this area, an opportunity to compete. Of course, the burden of funding this will fall upon those who have an interest and not the taxpayers. As to question 12- I understand government intrusiveness, but sometimes it can provide a safety net. The fact we have carry permits provided to those who pass the requirements, including background checks, establishes the legitimacy of the individual to carry. I believe the carry permit weeds out the undesirables. I would say each of these questions are good discussion questions. They provide some thought provoking responses and could be the first step to getting the public carry holders, certified instructors, and the educational system to work together for positive results.

Signed under oath: Mark E. Barney

Date: 10/18/10
Pat McGarrity

Re: Bartlett Alderman Candidate Barney Survey Answers

Postby fl0at » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:56 am

Hm, is he on the up and up, or pandering? Anyone know personally?

"This still provides junior and senior high students, who have an interest in this area, an opportunity to compete."

Does anyone call 9-12 "senior high?"
fl0at

Postby David Lewis » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:17 am

David Lewis

Postby fl0at » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:49 am

fl0at

Postby David Lewis » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:12 pm

Ah, I see how you might have been confused by that specific phrasing. Although, the rest of his answer, where he refers to
"junior high students" is pretty unambiguous.

I didn't share your confusion, though, because the terms were used consonant with the way they were used in my formative
years: referring to both junior high (grades 7 & 8) & senior high (grades 9-12). There was also elementary school (grades 1-6).

Remember, this was in the days before the shift to "middle school" (encompassing grades 6-7-8). Additionally, "Elementary"
now typically means "K-5", and "High School" means "9-12". Before my day, though, "Elementary" meant grades 1-8, and high
school meand 9-12. One graduated from Elementary school in the 8th grade. Many of my grandparents' generation had only
an 8th grade education.

Thanks for clarifying my confusion!

Frame of reference (i.e., context) is important!

David
David Lewis

Postby Pat McGarrity » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks to you and David for taking time to learn about the candidates.

Mark Barney spoke to the Shelby TFA and I was comfortable with his views on our gun rights. He has a better grasp of the Constitution than most candidates running for any level of government office. I didn't know him before he spoke to us.

Please come hear all the candidates for Bartlett Alderman, Position 2 speak tonight at Range USA at 7:00 PM. 2770 Whitten Rd.

In Liberty,

Pat
Pat McGarrity

Return to Shelby County / Memphis