[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4799: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4801: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4802: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4803: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Tennessee Firearms Assoc. Inc. • View topic - Local Meeting.

Local Meeting.

TFA's largest and most active local chapter.

Moderators: AlphaPatriot, Pat McGarrity

Local Meeting.

Postby hkgonra » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:49 am

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
hkgonra

Postby MitchSchaft » Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:45 pm

MitchSchaft

Postby dwaldrip » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:17 pm

Well, this is a tough one.

I remember three years ago I was worried how we were going to seat everyone who was coming to the meetings if we outgrew the large classroom at what was Whitten Arms. And, Rich Mason cautioned me that one thing he had seen, and I should prepare myself for, is that attendance would go up and come down, just like a roller coaster.

He was right.

From a previous record of 45-50 people who listened to Capt. Joe Ruff in May of '01, to the new record of the 50-55 folks who listened to John Harris month before last, to the low of 7 people who showed up in June to hear officer Israel of the Metro Gang Unit.

At least two things are factors: keeping new people invited and giving them some kind of infomation or a feeling they don't find anywhere else AND, sooner or later, a sense of accomplishment.

No matter how well we do that, each of us, sooner or later, encounters something that changes our priorities, or our interests, or dominates our calendars. And, I could retire if I had a $1,000 for each person who said "I'm interested because at this point in my life, I want to get involved", but yet they never show up. I mean never, ever.

So, what will keep people coming? Good question. After we've had John Harris and Larry Pratt, who and what will draw the crowd next time?

And, giving people opporunities to get up and do something is crucial, but what happens when these kind of opportunities are presented, and yet, no one does anything? For example, it has been a year this month since the Shelby County Chapter has exhibited at a gun show simply because no one is willing to accept the responsibility of a Gun Show Coordinator and organize the booth for the show.

Currently, very, very few people are willing to plan a fundraiser for the Shelby Farms Gun Range.

Why?

I've come to truly believe that most folks tell themselves that the Right to Keep and Bear Arms is indeed important to them, but their actions indicate that other things get in the way, no matter how strong their beliefs. As I said up above, each of us, sooner or later, encounters something that changes our priorities, or our interests, or dominates our calendars. And TFA meetings or activities get skipped.

So, how do you really change their behavior? I wish I could tell you.

But, no matter. The important thing is that you, and some other members like you, have the kind of "new" enthusiasm that sets you apart from the rest. Don't lose that enthusiasm.
David Waldrip
"The most dangerous assumption to make is to assume that someone else, or some other group, is already fighting for your rights. If you don't fight, believe me, very few others wil be fighting your fight."
dwaldrip

Return to Shelby County / Memphis