GOA Exec. Dir. Larry Pratt, TFA Guest Speaker 8-16-07

TFA's largest and most active local chapter.

Moderators: AlphaPatriot, Pat McGarrity

GOA Exec. Dir. Larry Pratt, TFA Guest Speaker 8-16-07

Postby Pat McGarrity » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:17 pm

“…the first time since 1996 that Congress has approved a measure strengthening gun control.”

New Your Times, 6/14/07

The Shelby County Chapter of the Tennessee Firearms Association will meet Thursday, 8/16/07 at 7:00 PM (19:00) at Range USA:

http://www.rangeusa.com/

2770 Whitten Rd. in Memphis. Please support Range USA, they support TFA!

Now there is yet another reason to support Range USA - Uncle Sam's Bar-B-Q!

http://www.unclesamsbarbq.com/index.html

There will be a $9.95 all you can eat BBQ buffet at 6:00 (18:00) before the meeting.

The Shelby County TFA is honored to have as our August guest speaker, Gun Owners of America - Executive Director, Larry Pratt.

http://www.gunowners.org/

Larry is considered by many, including me, to be the most credible source in the defense of our gun rights in the world and we are very fortunate for him to visit us. GOA is the "no compromise" gun rights organization.

We will be discussing, among other topics, the McCarthy bill, HR 2640, which passed the U.S. House on a very unusual voice only vote. This NRA supported bill has not passed the U.S. Senate. It is endorsed by Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and it's House sponsor, Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY), as well as The New York Times, which said about it on 6-14-07;“…the first time since 1996 that Congress has approved a measure strengthening gun control.”

It's main selling point is the supposed restoration of Veterans gun rights, infringed by the Clinton administration. However, the funding for this process, which, even IF funded, would still be complex, lengthy and expensive to Vets, is blocked for the foreseeable future. This, the vague language in the bill as to who would judge someone unfit to own a gun, and other concerns, are the problems and solutions we will be discussing.

The NRA management has been invited to discuss their support of the bill. NRA Tennessee Field Representative, Mike Webb, will be out of town, but I'd like to thank him for his reply.

Perhaps most troubling, is the lack of tolerance, by some in the NRA leadership, of questions on this bill. Those of us that defend the Second Amendment equally cherish the First Amendment. I have been personally attacked by an NRA Election Volunteer Coordinator for asking questions about this bill and threatened with lies to the media about our questions on it. Obviously, such a stunt would only hurt all gun rights supporters.

Once we cede ground, it is very difficult to gain it back, the time to ask questions is BEFORE legislation is signed into law. The more of an attempt there is to silence us, the more determined we become. Our Civil Rights are NOT chips to be bargained with by anyone.

There will be a drawing for a FREE Range USA range pass! We'll promptly adjourn at 8:30 (20:30). I look forward to seeing you there.

In Liberty,

Pat McGarrity

In Your Service - Shelby County, TFA Director

"In questions of political power speak to me not of confidence in men, but bind them down from mischief with the chains of a constitution."

- Thomas Jefferson
Pat McGarrity

Return to Shelby County / Memphis