A legal answer

General questions and comments that do not fall into other sections.

Moderators: C. Richard Archie, marauder, SomeGuy

A legal answer

Postby JLMullins » Fri May 09, 2014 5:14 pm

I see this on the NRA website.
It is unlawful for any person to carry “with the intent to go armed” a firearm, knife with a blade length exceeding four inches, or a club. The burden is on the state to show an “intent to go armed.”

It is a defense to unlawful carrying if the possession or carrying was:

• Of an unloaded rifle, shotgun or handgun not concealed on or about the person and the ammunition for the weapon was not in the immediate vicinity of the person or weapon;

Where do I carry my ammo? Where can the gun be? I have a crew cab pickup?

Thanks,
Jimmy
JLMullins

Re: A legal answer

Postby johnharris » Thu May 29, 2014 10:07 pm

At present, there is not a good answer for those without permits because the law is vague and subject to officer discretion.

However, the legislature passed a law (which is far short of what it should have passed) that may remove the requirement that you have a permit to transport a loaded hundgun in your car. That law goes into effect (need to verify) July 1, 2014.

http://state.tn.us/sos/acts/108/pub/pc0870.pdf
John Harris

Executive Director
Tennessee Firearms Association, Inc.
Attorney
johnharris
Site Admin

Re: A legal answer

Postby Fred762 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:26 am

IMHO this has been left vague to allow entrapment of gun owners. The simple solution would be for the Legislature to simplify the permitting process, making it legal for those conducting a shooting class to A. Take photos OR accept photos and finger prints at that time B. Help those who graduate from class to fill out state forms at the time C. Then send all this info IN and therefore speed up the permit process by bypassing the TNDOT...where we otherwise have to stand in line with dozens of illegals trying to read the rules! DOT does not need to be involved at all and is a waste of time, as is having to get prints elsewhere when any gun shop can DO them!!!!
Fred762

Return to General Firearms Topics